The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) Wheeling-Pittsburgh Subdivision is a partially abandoned railroad between Wheeling, West Virginia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The Wheeling, Pittsburgh & Baltimore Railroad (WP&B) was incorporated on August 5, 1887 as the successor to the Hempfield and Baltimore & Ohio Short Line railroads.
The origination of the WP&B started at the incorporation of the Hempfield Railroad on May 15, 1850, which was projected to run between Wheeling and Greensburg, Pennsylvania. The railroad was constructed from Wheeling east to Washington, a distance of 32 miles, by 1857. The Hempfield was sold at foreclosure in February 1857 and reorganized as the WP&B on January 15, 1872.
For much of the 20th century, the B&O from Glenwood Yard in Pittsburgh south to Washington and west to Benwood Yard at Wheeling was operated as the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Subdivision. The route was extremely congested with traffic from steel mills and coal mines that dotted the region.
By the 1970ís, many of the coal mines had closed and by the 1980ís, many of the local steel mills had been idled or abandoned. Instead of a line full of trains, the B&O had just two through movements each way per day and a local switcher that served local industries from Pittsburgh to Washington.
In November 1985, the B&O made the decision to abandon the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Subdivision west of Washington to Wheeling. A section was left intact from Taylorstown east to Washington for car storage, and the segment from Washington north to Glenwood Yard was left in daily use.