Rating:
No votes cast

Pine Bank Covered Bridge 38-63-35

Photos 

Pine bank portal

Photo taken by Jack Schmidt in July 2006

Enlarge

BH Photo #273441

Map 

Description 

In Meadowcroft Village (part of the Meadowcroft Museum), approximately 2.5 miles west of Avella, Jefferson Township, Pennsylvania. The bridge was formerly located in Greene County (former WGN 38-30-06), where it spanned Toms Run in Gilmore Township. It was moved to its current location in 1962 to become part of the recreated early American farm scene. This is the only covered bridge that is not original to Washington County. Although similar in color to the other bridges in the county, it differs in style. In addition to the roof of asphalt shingles, it also has a different portal and there are no windows. The interior walls remain unpainted revealing several old advertisements. The structure rests on stone abutments that have been laid dry, it has large, cut stone slabs at each end where typically the wing walls would be.

Facts 

Overview
Kingpost through truss bridge over Avella Ravine
Location
Washington County, Pennsylvania
History
Built 1870; relocated 1961
Design
Kingpost through truss
Dimensions
Total length: 38.3 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1979
Also called
Meadowcroft Village Covered Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.28749, -80.49189   (decimal degrees)
40°17'15" N, 80°29'31" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/543190/4459790 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Avella
Inventory numbers
NRHP 79003824 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
38-63-35
BH 59388 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (6,800)
Built 1870 (126)
Built during 1870s (979)
Covered (1,520)
Kingpost truss (154)
NR-listed (2,860)
Pennsylvania (4,810)
Through truss (13,848)
Total length 25-50 feet (10,570)
Truss (30,947)
Unknown status (1,614)
Washington County, Pennsylvania (165)

Update Log 

  • March 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP # & imported photo
  • January 26, 2014: Added by Jack Schmidt

Sources 

  • Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net
  • Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Restoring history - Observer-Reporter, May 3, 2017