Rating:
No votes cast

Bailey Covered Bridge 38-63-08

Photos 

Bailey portal

Photo taken by Jack Schmidt in July 2006

Enlarge

BH Photo #273437

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The original structure was destroyed by fire in July 23, 1994, when a truck was driven on the bridge and set on fire. It was rebuilt using all new materials except for the Burr arches and central cross timbers of each truss. It is located on a gravel township road and rests on stone faced abutments with wingwalls and a center pier and supported on eight steel girders. The wing walls rise above road level to form fairly short stone and mortar parapets. The bridge is covered with vertical board siding on both the sides and portals and is painted barn red inside and out. The roof is sheet metal and its deck is covered with crosswise planking. It also has narrow lengthwise openings under the eaves. The bridge is the last Burr truss covered bridge still standing in Washington County

Facts 

Overview
Burr arch-truss bridge over Ten Mile Creek on Bailey Road (TR 686)
Location
Washington County, Pennsylvania
History
Built 1889; burned 1994; rebuilt 1994
Builder
- Bailey Brothers
Design
Burr arch-truss
Dimensions
Total length: 70.3 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1979
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.02054, -80.19552   (decimal degrees)
40°01'14" N, 80°11'44" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/568649/4430347 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Amity
Inventory numbers
NRHP 79002355 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 38-63-08 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 59381 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • September 2, 2015: New photos from John Loxton
  • March 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP #, builder, street view & imported photo
  • January 26, 2014: Added by Jack Schmidt

Sources