WNYP - Wye Bridge
Jack E. Boucher, Photographer, July 1971. Aerial Reconnaissance Ii, Erie Railway Survey.
Photo taken by Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #217316
The Wye Bridge crosses the Allegheny River in Oil City, Pennsylvania and carried the Pennsylvania Railroad's Pittsburgh to Buffalo mainline.
The first bridge opened across the Allegheny River in Oil City in 1870 by the Allegheny Valley Railroad. In 1913, the PRR acquired the AV to use the route as part of their Buffalo & Allegheny Valley Division, connecting Pittsburgh to Buffalo.
Planning for a new crossing in Oil City began in 1927, opening to traffic on September 29, 1930. Although much of the Pittsburgh to Buffalo route was abandoned in 1984 and 1989, the portion in Ohio City is still in limited use by the Western New York & Pennsylvania Railroad.
- Parker through truss bridge over Allegheny River on Pennsylvania Railroad
- Oil City, Venango County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- - Conrail (CR)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Western New York & Pennsylvania Railroad (WNYP)
- Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 250.0 ft.
- Also called
- PRR - Wye Bridge
PC - Wye Bridge
Conrail - Wye Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.42238, -79.69809 (decimal degrees)
41°25'21" N, 79°41'53" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/608791/4586464 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Oil City
- Inventory number
- BH 49825 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 2, 2017: Updated by Sherman Cahal: History
- October 10, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added category "Y Bridge"
- October 16, 2011: Updated by Luke Harden: Changed name
- October 15, 2011: Added by James Baughn