Center Street Bridge
Photo taken by Janis Ford
BH Photo #216635
The tied plate-girder through arch was designed by Crawford County Engineer Karl A. Miller and constructed by the Tonawanda Engineering Corporation in 1939.
In April 1975, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation determined that the middle sections of the Center Street Bridge had deteriorated to the point that they could not handle normal traffic loads. It was barricaded until new metal decking could be obtained in January 1976. Work began on March 15 and was completed on March 26.
The Center Street Bridge was rehabilitated again in 1985.
A $2.15 million rehabilitation project on the Center Street Bridge began on March 14, 2016 and was completed on October 27. Work involved steel and concrete repairs, new asphalt roadway approaches, new concrete bridge approaches, refurbished hand railings and new paint on the steel. The improvements are expected to add 50 years to the service life of the crossing.
- Steel through arch bridge over Oil Creek on PA 6008 (Center Street) in Oil City
- Venango County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- - Tonawanda Engineering Corp.
- Steel through arch
Length of largest span: 172.9 ft.
Total length: 178.2 ft.
Deck width: 34.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.8 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.43361, -79.70972 (decimal degrees)
41°26'01" N, 79°42'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/607801/4587697 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Oil City
- Inventory numbers
- PA 60 6008 0070 0080 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 33654 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31715 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 09/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 56.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- February 28, 2017: Updated by Sherman Cahal: Text updates.
- July 19, 2013: Photo imported by Dave King