This bridge was locally known as the "Camelback Bridge" due to a serious camber built into the deck. This was in part an attempt to raise the concrete arches above the typical level of frequent spring ice jams at the location.
An attempt was made to preserve the bridge in 1992, but the Army Corps of Engineers rejected the possibility of a deteriorated concrete arch remaining in a flood plain. Architectural elements of the former bridge were incorporated into the replacement bridge.
- Lost Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Penns Creek on Mill Road (SR 1014)
- Snyder County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Started Ja. 1919, opened Sept. 1919 at cost of $32,895; replaced 1994 and demolished
- - G.A. Flink (Engineer)
- Whittaker & Diehl, Harrisburg, Pa.
- Double-span, concrete barrel arched structure, aligned perpendicular to the creek. 82' closed-spandrel arches.
Total length: 168.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
- Also called
- Penns Creek Bridge
Mill Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.82528, -76.87250 (decimal degrees)
40°49'31" N, 76°52'21" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/342100/4521048 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 47417 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 5, 2020: Photo imported by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- January 5, 2017: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Concrete Asterisk Railing"
- March 7, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- April 11, 2011: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Change of name and additional information added
- December 27, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman