Port Trevorton Railroad Bridge
Port Trevorton Bridge Remains
Piers and west abutment of former Port Trevorton Railroad Bridge, looking east from western shore in Port Trevorton
Photo taken by Alexander D. Mitchell IV in December 2011
BH Photo #223304
Construction begun 1852 by Susquehanna & Union Bridge Co. [Snyder County was at the time still part of Union County, seceded 1855] to connect coal mines on the Trevorton, Mahanoy & Susquehanna Railroad with the Pennsylvania Canal to ship coal to tidewater. Bridge company consolidated with TM&S in 1854, and name changed to Trevorton & Susquehanna Railroad. First cars pushed across uncompleted bridge in Dec. 1853; bridge completed summer 1854, railroad completed Jan. 1855. Wooden deck for horse/foot/stage traffic apparently laid on bridge. Railroad later reorganized several times, finally being taken over by Philadelphia & Reading RR in 1871, after abandonment of bridge in 1870. Bridge used briefly by Northern Central RR 1857-58 to connect with Pa. Canal until completion of NCRR to Sunbury in May 1858. Only known sketch of bridge shows what appears to be uncovered Long trusses with arches. Bridge abandoned 1870 due to deteriorated condition, changes in traffic patterns, and anticipated completion of railroad river bridge at Selinsgrove, several miles north. Western abutment and portions of two piers of bridge survive near west shore of river and is visible from Port Trevorton shore, location of several other piers can be seen in both channels of the river on either side of White's Island, which was spanned with trestlework. Information from "Chronology of Selinsgrove, Pa." by William Marion Schnure.
Info from article by Earl J. Heydinger, Railway & Loco. Historical Society Bulletin 108, April 1963: Eight 150-foot spans over east channel; 1400-foot trestle over White Island, fifteen 150-foot spans over western channel. 40 feet wide, railroad on southern half, road and footpath on northern half, with description saying no partition between lanes.
- Lost Long through truss bridge over Susquehanna River on Trevorton, Mahanoy & Susquehanna Railroad
- Herndon, Snyder County, Pennsylvania, and Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Built 1853-55 to connect coal mines on east side of river with Pennsylvania Canal on west side; abandoned August 1870 and later demolished
- - David Rockefeller of New York, New York
- Susquehanna & Union Bridge Co.
- - Northern Central Railway (NCRY)
- Philadelphia & Reading Railroad (P&R)
- Trevorton, Mahanoy & Susquehanna Railroad (TM&S)
- Two sections of Long through truss with arches, connected by trestlework over island
Length of largest span: 150.0 ft.
- Also called
- Trevorton & Susquehanna Bridge
Trevorton, Mahanoy & Susquehanna Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.71003, -76.85943 (decimal degrees)
40°42'36" N, 76°51'34" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/342931/4508231 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 48861 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 30, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Removed "Reading" from name and description as bridge was abandoned before takeover of rail line by Phila. & Reading RR
- July 11, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Trevorton, Mahanoy & Susquehanna Railroad", "Philadelphia & Reading Railway", "Northern Central Railway"
- January 20, 2013: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added categories "Railroad", "Toll"
- January 13, 2012: New photos from Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- June 5, 2011: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV