Rock Covered Bridge 38-54-02
Photo taken by Curtis Lee June 2004
BH Photo #125243
A single-span Burr arch truss 55' 7" over Little Swatara Creek. Located: On TR 542 (name and Township Route number not posted), just east of Rock, Pennsylvania, Washington Township. Directions: In Rock, Pennsylvania, at the “Village of Rock” sign, at the east end of the village, go east on Rock Road (SR 895) for 0.5 mile to a left (north) onto Newswanger Road 0.1 mile to the bridge. The original stone abutments of the bridge have been strengthened with concrete, and steel I-beam supports have been placed next to the abutments to add extra support to the structure. Inside, a steel guardrail protects the truss system from traffic. The bridge is currently being used for access to a local park and fishing area. Source: http://tc2u.com/home/Pennsylvania_Covered_Bridges_Main/Rock/...
NOTE: The road name must have changed as people referred to it as "Lover's Road," but it is clearly marked on the street and on many maps as Newswanger Road. I also saw a separate bridge entry from NBI that called the bridge type "Girder" and it was built in 1860. My only guess is that maybe this bridge was a girder style before a Covered Bridge, but ironically there are girders inside the bridge, and as noted in a few places it is stated these were added to protect the bridge.
- Single-span Burr arch-truss bridge over Lower Little Swatara Creek on Newswanger Road
- Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1870
- Burr arch-truss
Span length: 56.0 ft.
Total length: 56.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 10.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 3, 1978
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.54467, -76.29500 (decimal degrees)
40°32'41" N, 76°17'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/390341/4489018 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Swatara Hill
- 580 ft. above sea level
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 78002468 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 37479 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 20, 2016: New photos from Janis Ford
- March 7, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photo
- November 28, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Road name changed, added description
- September 28, 2008: Added by Curtis Lee
- Curtis Lee - clee47ford [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Janis Ford