Zimmerman Covered Bridge 38-54-01
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on November 27, 2010
BH Photo #188787
In 1996, new abutments were built. The bridge was lifted from its abutments and placed intact on the roadway while the new abutments were being built. It was not returned to its abutments until 1998 due to “red tape” government delays. While it was off its abutments, the basic structure was also rebuilt, including replacement of the lower cords. (Oct 2004) Source: http://tc2u.com/home/Pennsylvania_Covered_Bridges_Main/Zimme...
- Covered single-span Burr arch truss bridge over Lower Little Swatara Creek on Covered Bridge Road
- Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1880; renovated 1996
- The bridge is covered with wide, vertical boards without batten. The deck is covered with floorboards laid at a forty five degree angle.
Length of largest span: 49.9 ft.
Total length: 65.0 ft.
Deck width: 11.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 3, 1978
- Also called
- Lower Little Swatara Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.54389, -76.32556 (decimal degrees)
40°32'38" N, 76°19'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/387752/4488970 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Swatara Hill
- Average daily traffic (as of 1980)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 53 7233 0526 9114 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 30953 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
NRHP 78002467 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 47100 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 18.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 7, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info & imported photos
- November 28, 2010: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected data (bridge type, year, added description)
- November 25, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman