Willits Road Bridge
From Historic Bridge Inventory:
The bridge carries a 2 lane street with sidewalks and parking lanes over a stream in Pennypack Park. Although most of the park follows the winding Pennypack Creek through in Northeast Philadelphia, this small, eastern portion is discontiguous with the larger park and is organized around a small stream. The area is predominantly residential in character. Developed following WW II, the area of modest, brick doubles and row houses is architecturally undistinguished and lacks the character of a historic district. The naturally wooded park established by the city in 1905-07 and "improved" for recreational use after 1916 is not a potential historic district.
The single span, 35'-long reinforced concrete channel beam bridge is supported on concrete abutments with curved wingwalls. Half-depth diaphragms stiffen the beams. Concrete parapets with metal railings are on each side of the bridge. The bridge was built in 1953, and it is not one of the earlier applications of the precast technology in the state. The significance of the technology is better represented by earlier examples that date to 1949 and 1950. Neither the bridge nor its setting are historically or technologically noteworthy.
Later Found Eligible:
Longer than other channel beam bridges and unusual for having full parapet and railing.
- Concrete stringer bridge over Wooden Bridge Run on Willits Road
- Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Section 106 Review in Process.
- Built 1953; rehabilitated 1987
- Concrete stringer
Length of largest span: 30.8 ft.
Total length: 35.1 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Wooden Bridge Run Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.06111, -75.02056 (decimal degrees)
40°03'40" N, 75°01'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/498246/4434540 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 67 1011 0020 2797 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
OLD PA BMS Number 67 1011 0020 1694
PANBI 38766 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 51372 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 03/2008)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 62.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- February 21, 2012: Added by Nathan Holth