PRR - Grays Ferry Branch Swing Bridge
- Abandoned through truss bridge over Schuylkill River on former Pennsylvania Railroad
- Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Future prospects
- Replacement with new swing span for pedestrian use planned. Bridge formally transferred to City of Philadelphia Nov. 1, 2017. "With the property transfer complete, construction of the $13 million project, under the direction of architecture and engineering firm Amman & Whitney, will begin to replace the 226-foot swing truss and redesign its 97-foot approaches. A new bridge will resemble the original, while the approaches will lift the crossing to allow for clearance of river traffic. The new bridge will also have the capability to swing open for larger sea-faring vessels to pass through." Section 106 Review in progress.
- Built 1901 by American Bridge Co. for Pennsylvania RR, opened 1902; abandoned 1984
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Conrail (CR)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Through truss
Length of largest span: 223.0 ft.
Total length: 418.5 ft.
- Also called
- Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad Bridge No. 1
PRR South Philadelphia Branch Bridge
Grays Ferry Railroad Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.94062, -75.20507 (decimal degrees)
39°56'26" N, 75°12'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/482479/4421186 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 70269 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 25, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- November 2, 2017: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge transferred to City for planned replacement with new swing span; bridge is doomed.
- June 30, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: Refined future plans for bridge.
- April 26, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- April 26, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added more details and Wikipedia entry, but bridge is doomed.
- December 17, 2015: Added by Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV
- Douglas Butler
- Nathan Holth
- HAER PA-547 - Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad, Bridge No. 1, Spanning Schuylkill River, south of Grays Ferry Avenue, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
- Dana and Kay Klein