South High Street Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on 8/19/2012
Significance: The South High Street Bridge is one of four surviving lenticular truss bridges in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and one of fifty remaining in the United States. The truss derives its name from the lens shape created by the upper and lower chords of the span. This 80'-9" bridge is typical of the early polygonal pony truss designs patented by William O. Douglas and built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut. The Berlin Iron Bridge Company was the main producer of this unusual truss form, which was erected in many rural and urban settings throughout the United States between 1878 and 1900.
SOURCE: HAER http://loc.gov/pictures/item/pa3979/
- Abandoned lenticular pony truss bridge over Little Juniata Creek on Formerly South High Street
- Duncannon, Perry County, Pennsylvania
- Open to pedestrians.
- Built in 1889 by Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- This 80'-9" bridge is typical of the early polygonal pony truss designs patented by William O. Douglas and built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company of East Berlin, Connecticut.
Total length: 809.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.38978, -77.03188 (decimal degrees)
40°23'23" N, 77°01'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/327543/4473002 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory number
- BH 47415 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 2, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
- June 16, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Corrected status.
- December 27, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman