Clark's Ferry Covered Bridge
Online Info: The Clark's Ferry Bridge was part of the Main Line Pennsylvania Canal built in 1828. Mules walked on a cantilevered walkway outside the structure and towed canal boats across the river. The dam below the bridge was known as Green's Dam and created a calm surface for the canal boats. The bridge put an end to the hand-poled ferry that existed at this location for nearly 50 years.
Seven different bridges have crossed the Susquehanna at this location. While in Dauphin County the bridge has always had a strong connection to Duncannon and contributed greatly to its growth in the mid-1800s. The covered bridge that stood in the distance was considered at the time to be the longest covered bridge in the world at 2088 feet.
- Lost Bridge over Susqueganna River
- Duncannon, Perry County, Pennsylvania, and Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- No longer exists
Total length: 2,088.0 ft. (0.4 mi.)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.39879, -77.00882 (decimal degrees)
40°23'56" N, 77°00'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/329523/4473958 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 88785 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 31, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com