Photo taken May 2006 by Jack Schmidt
BH Photo #108687
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The skewed, one-span, 215'-long, rivet-connected steel Warren thru truss bridge built in 1941 is composed of built-up chords and portal x-bracing, and rolled verticals, diagonals, and upper later bracing. It is supported on concrete abutments with wingwalls. The concrete deck was placed in 1994 with removal of the original decorative metal railings and replacement with concrete parapets to the inside of the truss lines. Original bearings were replaced with pot bearings, the abutment backwalls rebuilt, and deteriorated rivets replaced with high-strength bolts. The bridge is a large but altered and late example of the Warren truss bridge type, developed in the mid-19th century. Rivet-connected Warren trusses were a popular highway bridge type in the early 20th century. Over 100 pre-1957 examples have been identified with many rivet-connected examples dating from the 1890s to 1910s. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Through truss bridge over Mahanoy Creek on PA 225 near Dornsife
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1941; rehabilitated 1994
- Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 208.0 ft.
Total length: 214.9 ft.
Deck width: 25.3 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.74410, -76.79053 (decimal degrees)
40°44'39" N, 76°47'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/348828/4511892 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 49 0225 0220 1209 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 29089 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31464 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 6.5 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- November 20, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- May 12, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
- October 26, 2006: Posted photos from Jack Schmidt