Shamokin Creek Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 local street and one sidewalk over a stream in Sunbury in an area of brick mills and frame houses that has been identified by PHMC as a historic district. 10th Street is a boundary of the district as is the water feature that the bridge crosses. No period of significance or inventory/rating of resources was part of PHMC's 1988 determination of eligibility.
The one span, 181' long, riveted, Camelback thru truss bridge fabricated in 1917 is supported on stone abutments. The trusses are traditionally composed, and there are minor repairs/in kind replacement of deteriorated parts of members, but the bridge is not altered. It is located on the boundary of the PHMC identified Susquehanna Mills HD that is composed of brick textile mills and frame houses. 10th Street and Shamokin Creek are boundaries, and the bridge is included in the district. It is a contributing resource based on its date of construction and integrity. 10th Street is a major crossing into the district. The bridge contributes to the historic character of the district.
- Through truss bridge over Shamokin Creek on 10th Street in Sunbury
- Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1917
- Camelback through truss
Length of largest span: 175.9 ft.
Total length: 181.1 ft.
Deck width: 18.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.3 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- 10TH STREET
COUNTY BRIDGE #172
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.85247, -76.78901 (decimal degrees)
40°51'09" N, 76°47'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/349202/4523920 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- PA 49 7302 0010 0172 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 29406 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31474 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2007)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 38.2 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- April 15, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Tweaked GPS
- Janis Ford
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Bridgemapper.com - by Todd Wilson and Lauren Winkler