No votes cast

Shamokin Creek Bridge

Street View 


Bridge replaced by UCEB bridge 2005-2007, new bridge opened Sept. 2007: http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x691270664/New-bridge-aimed-a... Story says bridge was called Cameron Bridge by locals on account of the former Cameron (later Glen Burn) Colliery adjacent to the northeast of the bridge, demolished ca. 2000.

FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The 2-span, 264'-long, steel Parker pony truss bridge built in 1933 is supported on ashlar abutments and pier with concrete caps. The deck and stringers were replaced, and the truss members repaired with welded members and the replacement of rivets with bolts in 1981. The bridge is an example of the standard design Parker truss used by the state highway department from the late 1920s through the 1930s. At least 80 post-1925 examples of the design have been identified. The bridge is not individually distinguished, and it is beyond the PHMC-identified Shamokin Historic District. PHMC has confirmed that the setting of this bridge does not have historic district potential (2/26/99 site visit memo). Neither the bridge nor its setting are historically or technologically significant.


Steel pony truss bridge over Shamokin Creek and railroad tracks on PA 61 in Shamokin
Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
Replaced by a new bridge
Built 1933; rehabilitated 1981; Replaced 2007
- F. D. Kessler
- PennDOT Bridge Division
Pony truss
Length of largest span: 127.0 ft.
Total length: 262.2 ft.
Deck width: 22.3 ft.
Also called
Cameron Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.79194, -76.56278   (decimal degrees)
40°47'31" N, 76°33'46" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/368153/4516836 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Inventory numbers
PA 49 0061 0170 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31472 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 15, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
  • April 9, 2012: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Changed replacement date, added many details.
  • April 9, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Changed status to replaced by new bridge


  • Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
  • Alexander D. Mitchell IV