Rating:
No votes cast

Old Mill Road Bridge

Photos 

Old Mill Rd Truss Bridge

Photo taken by Stephanie Brown in February 2010

Enlarge

BH Photo #155036

Map 

Facts 

Overview
Pratt through truss bridge over Saucon Creek on Old Mill Rd in Lower Saucon Township
Location
Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to pedestrians
History
Built 1867; rebuilt in 1930 and 1948
Builders
- Beckel Iron Foundry and Machine Shop of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Charles Nathaniel Beckel of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- Kern, Sheffier and Co. (Masonary wing walls and pier)
Design
Significance: One of three existing pony-truss spans built by the Beckel Foundry. Both used variations of Francis C. Lowthorp's 23 June 1857 and 13 March 1860 patented cast lower-chord connections. The Old Mill and the Walnut Street bridges incorporate unusual cast-iron beams to support decks.
Dimensions
Span length: 104.0 ft.
Total length: 104.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
Also called
County Bridge 16
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.56126, -75.34813   (decimal degrees)
40°33'41" N, 75°20'53" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/470528/4490112 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Hellertown
Inventory number
BH 43110 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • May 28, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
  • April 13, 2016: Updated by Art Suckewer: Corrected build date and ammended number or remaining Beckel bridges to three based on the recent addition to the site.
  • February 15, 2010: Posted HAER photos
  • February 13, 2010: Updated by Joshua Collins: added gps coordinates
  • February 13, 2010: New photo from Stephanie Brown
  • August 4, 2009: Added by Stephanie Brown

Sources 

  • Stephanie Brown
  • Joshua Collins - Bigjc1979 [at] aol [dot] com
  • HAER PA-93 - Old Mill Road Bridge, Spanning Saucon Creek, Old Mill Road, Hellertown vicinity, Northampton County, PA
  • Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth

Comments 

Old Mill Road Bridge
Posted April 13, 2016, by ArtS (asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com)

This article sets the build date at 1867, not 1870. Apparently this is based on town records.

http://www.lowersaucontownship.org/pdf/oldmill.pdf

As such, I will revise the build date to 1867. If anyone has evidence that this is incorrect, please post the evidence and change it back.

Regards,

Art S.