Northampton Street Bridge
The Northampton Street Bridge is one of a few extant eye-bar cantilever bridges in the United States. Its 50'-0"-long central span, supported between two 250'-0" cantilever arms, is carefully disguised by superfluous members so as to appear as a smooth catenary. Its appearance is tastefully balanced between Gothic flamboyance and a spartan machine aesthetic — a piece of urban "structural art." Designed by James Madison Porter III, professor of engineering at nearby Lafayette College and an early advocate of materials testing, this bridge is his most important work. Bethlehem Steel Company repaired the structure to its original design in 1957, after it was heavily damaged by a flood two years previous. The Northampton Street Bridge has been designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark by the American
Society of Civil Engineers.
- Historic American Engineering Record
- Cantilevered through truss bridge over Delaware River on Northampton Street
- Easton, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, and Warren County, New Jersey
- Open to two-lane traffic with a 3 ton weight limit
- Built 1896; damaged and fixed 1955; rehabilitated 2002
- - Bethlehem Steel Co. of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (1957)
- Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
- James Madison Porter III (Designer)
- Union Bridge Co. of Buffalo, New York & Athens, Pennsylvania (Fabricator)
- Cantilevered eyebar through truss
Length of largest span: 299.9 ft.
Total length: 560.1 ft.
Deck width: 32.2 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Northampton Street Toll-supported Bridge (official name)
Easton-Phillipsburg Bridge Free Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.69147, -75.20393 (decimal degrees)
40°41'29" N, 75°12'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/482769/4504528 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 1993)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 48 7302 9992 0005 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 41694 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2008)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 20.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 2, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- April 14, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: Fix map marker
- July 1, 2018: New photos from Chester Gehman
- September 25, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- August 14, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- August 14, 2016: Photo imported by Dave King
- June 26, 2013: New Street View added by Dave King
- September 22, 2010: New photos from Raymond Klein
- September 21, 2010: New photo from Raymond Klein
- July 9, 2009: Updated by Ian Anderson
- Ian Anderson - macsignals [at] gmail [dot] com
- Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission - Info page on this bridge
- HAER PA-502 - Northampton Street Bridge, Spanning Delaware River at Northampton Street (U.S. Route 22 Alternate), Easton, Northampton County, PA
- Raymond Klein - Bookshelfthe [at] msn [dot] com
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs