Markley and Elm Streets Bridge
Stony Creek Bridge (Markley & Elm ) - February 2009
Photo taken by Raymond Klein
BH Photo #134868
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The 2 span, 69'-long closed spandrel stone arch bridge built in 1878 is laid up with matched ring stones and ashlar spandrel walls and parapets. The bridge is a well preserved example of its type, and it is individually significant as well as a contributing resource to the Central Norristown Historic District. It is partially in the district, but it was not rated in the 1984 nomination. The three factors of large size, mid-19th century date of construction, and completeness of original design combine to determine the technological significance of this stone arch bridge.'
Montgomery County Bridge Inventory states the bridge is: A strong candidate for long-term preservation.
- Stone arch bridge over Stoney Creek at corner of Elm & Markley Streets in Norristown
- Norristown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1878
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 24.9 ft.
Total length: 68.9 ft.
Deck width: 122.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Stoney Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.12167, -75.34333 (decimal degrees)
40°07'18" N, 75°20'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/470745/4441317 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 46 7413 1580 0003 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 28226 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31400 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 29 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 4, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and corrected width
- March 4, 2009: New photo from Raymond Klein
- February 28, 2009: Updated by Raymond Klein: Modified location to reflect map-corner Markley & Elm Streets in Norristown, PA.
- January 19, 2009: New photo from Raymond Klein
- Raymond Klein - Bookshelfthe [at] msn [dot] com
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com