Fruitville Road Bridge
Fruitville Road Bridge
View from top of the hill-December 2006
Photo taken by Raymond Klein
BH Photo #132347
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
'The 626'-long and 16'-wide bridge is really a stone viaduct with two, 3-span stone arch spans and a 110'-long, pin connected, Pratt thru truss main span that carries the roadway over two streams and related flood plain. The two 78'-long, three span, stone arch sections have coursed, dressed red-colored stone spandrel walls and stepped parapets originally finished with bluestone cap stones. The truss bridge is traditionally composed with the floor beams above the lower chords. The 1905 viaduct is a late example of both bridge technologies, but it is historically and technologically significant as a complete example of a stone arch bridge built in the early 20th century in Montgomery County. It represents better than most other extant examples of the technical and aesthetic preferences of the county at the turn of the century. Twenty one of the 57 extant stone arch bridges in the county were built in the 20th century.'
- Through truss and stone arch bridge over Perkiomen Creek on Fruitville Road
- Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1905; rehabilitated 1962, 1963
- - Eyre Construction Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Truss)
- 1 main span Pratt through truss plus 2 three-span stone arches
Length of largest span: 102.0 ft.
Total length: 451.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.2 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.40751, -75.52155 (decimal degrees)
40°24'27" N, 75°31'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/455746/4473119 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- East Greenville
- Inventory numbers
- PA 46 7046 0410 0232 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 27928 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31358 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 07/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 21.3 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1977)
- March 27, 2016: Added photo from Bernadette Llewellyn
- November 13, 2013: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- May 5, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- October 8, 2009: Updated by Raymond Klein: Added Upper Hanover Township, PA to name and overview
- January 13, 2009: New photos from Raymond Klein