Rating:
No votes cast

Market Street Bridge (1889)

Description 

There have been Seven Bridges at this crossing. First was a Wooden covered bridge built 1849. Destroyed by flood 1865. The second bridge was a wire suspension bridge 1865-1885. The third bridge was the Berlin bridge built 1885 partially destroyed in 1889 by flood. Fourth bridge was built using parts of third bridge opened 1889 destroyed by flood 1891. the fifth bridge was built 1894 by Crofton Bridge and manufacturing Company. It was blown up and dismantled in 1949.bridge six was a 1956 steel deck built by George Vang Inc.. Blown up and dismantled in 2007. Seventh bridge is the current bridge

Facts 

Overview
Lost Lenticular through truss bridge over West Branch Susquehanna River on Market Street
Location
South Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1889 reusing parts from predecessor bridge; Destroyed by flooding 1891
Builder
- Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
Design
Lenticular through truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.23716, -76.99743   (decimal degrees)
41°14'14" N, 76°59'51" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/332612/4567008 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Montoursville South
Inventory number
BH 71608 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Luke