Mill Creek Bridge
View Of Mill Creek Bridge, From West.
Photo taken Summer 1999 by Jet Lowe for the Historic American Engineering Record. Research by Justin M. Spivey.
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #165807
Despite the rush to construct it, the Mill Creek Bridge outlasted the streetcars which once ran over it. This critical link along the east bank of the Susquehanna still carries modern traffic loads without a posted weight limit. Designed by city engineer William V. Ingham, the bridge exemplifies his family's engineering contributions in Wilkes-Barre. The structure is distinguished by its high arch, which was constructed quickly and economically by supporting the centering on projecting corbels instead of the creek bed. Although local contractor Robert C. Mitchell constructed the bridge's masonry, the blacksmith responsible for the unusual wrought- iron fence atop its parapets remains unknown.
- Historic American Engineering Record
- Stone arch bridge over Mill Creek on PA 2004 (River Street) in Wilkes-Barre
- Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1885
- - Robert C. Mitchell (Contractor)
- William V. Ingham (City engineer)
- Stone arch
Span length: 39.0 ft.
Total length: 39.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.8 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.26028, -75.86744 (decimal degrees)
41°15'37" N, 75°52'03" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/427334/4568013 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 40 2004 0070 1976 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 24062 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31222 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 27.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 24, 2015: Updated by Dave King: Added HAER description
- HAER PA-501 - Mill Creek Bridge, Spanning Mill Creek at River Street (State Route 2004), Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County, PA
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com