Truss Bridge NR Evaluation 10-2008 it states this is one of only three state highway dept. designed pratt thru truss bridges east of the Susquehanna.
From Pennsylvania Bridge Survey: 'The Cementon bridge carries a 2 lane street and a sidewalk over the Lehigh River and a filled-in section of the Lehigh Canal between Cementon and the Borough of Northampton. The towns are comprised of mixed 20th century structures of residential, commercial and industrial use. The areas of town contiguous to the bridge do not appear to have historic district potential. The Lehigh Canal Historic District, listed 12/17/1979, is the right-of-way of the old Lehigh Canal along the river's north bank. The district has a period of significance from 1840 to 1931, the active years of the canal.'
The 4-span, 575'-long bridge consists of 3 identifical Pratt thru truss spans and one built-up thru girder span, all supported on a concrete substructure. A sidewalk is cantilevered from one side of the bridge. Constructed in 1933 by the state highway department, the rivet-connected truss is a large but relatively late example of the truss technology that was developed in the late-19th century and was used with great frequency through the first 3 decades of the 20th century. The bridge is not historically or technologically significant. The bridge was built after the period of significance of the Lehigh Canal Historic District and is thus not a contributing resource to it.'
- Through truss bridge over Lehigh River on PA 329 in Northampton
- Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, and Northampton County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1933
- - Pennsylvania state highway department
- Whittaker & Diehl of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 159.1 ft.
Total length: 575.2 ft.
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.69028, -75.50361 (decimal degrees)
40°41'25" N, 75°30'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/457447/4504497 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numers
- PA 39 0329 0130 0882 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 23179 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31181 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2016)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 15, 2011: New Street View added by Tony Dillon
- May 15, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and Reg. eligibility
- July 25, 2010: Updated by D. Thomsen: Added Lehigh River category