Union Canal Tunnel
Union Canal Tunnel LebCo PA 2
Photo posted to Wikipedia by user Smallbones
License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)
View this photo at Wikimedia Commons
BH Photo #321208
Oldest existing transportation tunnel in United States.
- Tunnel under Tunnel Hill; Tunnel Hill Road on Union Canal
- Lebanon, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania
- Stable. Repairs were made to portals in 2000 & 2002
- Future prospects
- Canal boat rides through the tunnel suspended pending boat repairs. Owned by Lebanon County Historical Society.
- Completed 1827; canal closed 1880's; purchased by LCHS in 1950.
Total length: 729.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1974
- Also called
- Union Tunnel
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.34969, -76.46135 (decimal degrees)
40°20'59" N, 76°27'41" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/375896/4467595 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 74001792 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 62266 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 2, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- April 6, 2015: Photos imported by Dave King
- August 4, 2014: Added by Chester Gehman