Burd-Coleman Street Bridge
North west side of bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in August 14, 2013
BH Photo #263025
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane street over a stream. Approximately 100' east is a late 19th century train station (NR-listed 1974), now serving as a residence. Northeast are tennis courts associated with a 1920s school with a large 1950s addition. To the south is a stone arch bridge carrying an abandoned railroad line over the road. The bridge is located approximately 500' north and outside of the boundaries of the Cornwall Iron Furnace NHL, which is located on the opposite (south) side of the railroad right-of-way. The furnace operated from the 1740s to the 1880s, and was turned over to the state as a historic site in the 1930s. The ironmaster's mansion was extensively remodeled in 1865 with stonework similar in style to the bridge.
The single span, 24'-long brick arch bridge has ashlar brownstone spandrel walls and parapets, stone voussoirs with keystone, and stone abutments with U-shaped wingwalls. BMS data lists a date of construction of 1930, but a more appropriate date is ca. 1865 based on style and comparison with stonework at the Cornwall Furnace mansion. Brick arch highway bridges are not common in Pennsylvania with 25 extant examples identified by the survey. Most surviving examples date to the last half of the 19th century. This is an early complete example and the only one in Lebanon County. It is historically and technologically distinguished.
- Brick arch bridge over Snitz Creek on Burd-Coleman Street in Cornwall
- Cornwall, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built ca. 1865
- Closed spandrel brick arch bridge has ashlar brownstone spandrel walls and parapets, stone voussoirs with keystone, and stone abutments with U-shaped wingwalls
Span length: 22.0 ft.
Total length: 22.0 ft.
Deck width: 24.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.27412, -76.41514 (decimal degrees)
40°16'27" N, 76°24'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/379686/4459143 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 38 7402 3000 4001 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 22921 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31167 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2015)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 90.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 15, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
- January 7, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected bridge design & added description