Eckert Bridge (1954)
East side view
Photo taken by Brian Manville in May 1, 2017
BH Photo #388693
A covered bridge known as Eckertís Bridge spanned the Slippery Rock Creek about 1.5 miles south of the bridge at McConnellís Mill. It was erected in 1852 and named for John Nicholas Eckert (died 1906), a man who operated a mill on the west side of the creek at that location. The covered bridge grew dangerous over the years and a lumber truck almost feel through it in early December 1933. After a truck fell through another nearby covered bridge (Breakneck Bridge) in August 1952, both aging spans were closed to traffic. Both were slated for replacement and the new Eckertís Bridge (shown above) was opened for traffic in October 1954. Eckertís Bridge was essentially isolated when Breakneck Bridge and parts of Eckertís Bridge Road, Breakneck Bridge Road, and Cheeseman Road were closed due to massive erosion in 1979. (Oct 1954) - From "Lawrence County Memoirs"
- Steel stringer bridge over Slippery Rock Creek on Cheeseman Road
- Lawrence County, Pennsylvania
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1954
Span length: 155.0 ft.
Total length: 155.0 ft.
Deck width: 30.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.94047, -80.17657 (decimal degrees)
40°56'26" N, 80°10'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/569313/4532474 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 76514 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 2, 2017: New photos from Brian Manville
- April 25, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Changed to Lawrence County, PA based on map: http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Type5/37212.pdf
- April 13, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- April 13, 2017: New Street View added by Don Morrison
- April 12, 2017: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- April 11, 2017: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- April 11, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Added category "Built 1852"
- Brian Manville
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- Don Morrison
- Dana and Kay Klein