Underneath west side
Photo taken by Brian Manville in April 11, 2017
BH Photo #388675
A covered bridge known as Eckertís Bridge spanned the Slippery Rock Creek about 1.5 miles south of the bridge at McConnellís Mill. It was erected in 1852 and named for John Nicholas Eckert (died 1906), a man who operated a mill on the west side of the creek at that location. The covered bridge grew dangerous over the years and a lumber truck almost feel through it in early December 1933. After a truck fell through another nearby covered bridge (Breakneck Bridge) in August 1952, both aging spans were closed to traffic. Both were slated for replacement and the new Eckertís Bridge was opened for traffic in October 1954. Eckertís Bridge was essentially isolated when Breakneck Bridge and parts of Eckertís Bridge Road, Breakneck Bridge Road, and Cheeseman Road were closed due to massive erosion in 1979. (Oct 1954) - From "Lawrence County Memoirs"
Per this map, http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/Type5/37212.p... bridge is located in Lawrence County, PA
- Steel stringer bridge over Cheeseman Run on Breakneck Bridge Rd
- Lawrence County, Pennsylvania
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1954
- Steel stringer
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.93747, -80.17842 (decimal degrees)
40°56'15" N, 80°10'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/569161/4532140 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 76534 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 2, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Transferred 4/11 pictures from Eckert Bridge to Breakneck Bridge.
- April 25, 2017: Updated by Brian Manville: Updated with correct county
- April 13, 2017: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- April 12, 2017: Added by Clark Vance
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- Lawrence County Memoirs - Description of this and Eckert bridge replacing earlier covered spans.
- Brian Manville