Siegrist's Mill Covered Bridge 38-36-37
Photo taken by Jack Schmidt
Washed downstream by flooding Sept. 8, 2011; structure intact, county is repairing bridge
On October 31, 2012, Bulldog Construction from Coatesville, Pa. was awarded a contract in the amount of $674,421.00 to reconstruct the bridge and raise the abutments two feet to help avoid future flooding damage. Lancaster Timber Framers subcontracted to Bulldog Construction the rehabilitation of the bridge.
- Covered bridge over Big Chickies Creek on Seigrist Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Washed downstream by flooding Sept. 8, 2011; structure intact, county plans to return and repair bridge
- Built 1885
- - James C. Carpenter
- Covered Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 91.9 ft.
Total length: 100.1 ft.
Deck width: 13.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 10, 1980
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.07592, -76.47100 (decimal degrees)
40°04'33" N, 76°28'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/374572/4437220 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Columbia East
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7230 0360 0206 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
NRHP 80003513 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 38-36-37 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 31123 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2006)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 18.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2000)
- July 19, 2014: New photos from Patrick S. O'Donnell
- March 4, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added street view & imported photos
- May 16, 2013: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Updated reconstruction with photo and data
- October 10, 2011: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Updated status description
- September 8, 2011: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge destroyed by flooding Sept. 8, 2011; replacement status unclear. Video of washout at http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/454514_RAW-VIDEO--Siegrist-Road-covered-bridge-is-swept-away.html
- March 5, 2007: Posted photos from Jack Schmidt