Fruitville Pike Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2-span, 69'-long, reinforced concrete thru girder bridge built in 1922 is composed of two girders with an integral concrete slab deck. The paneled girders also serve as the railings. The bridge is supported on a concrete pier and concrete abutments with flared wingwalls surmounted by concrete parapets. The entire bridge was coated in gunite in 1968. The fasciae have large spalls and exposed reinforcing bars. The bridge is a late and altered example of one of the least successful standardized reinforce concrete bridges types developed during the first decade of the 20th century. At least 65 thru girder bridges from 1906 to 1930 have been identified with more than one-third of the examples in Lancaster County where their use was forwarded by county engineer F. H. Shaw beginning before 1910. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Lost Concrete pony/through girder bridge over Chickies Creek on Fruitville Pike (PA-772)
- Manheim, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built 1922
- - F. H. Shaw (county Engineer)
- J. Miller Eschelman
- Concrete through girder.
Length of largest span: 30.8 ft.
Total length: 68.9 ft.
Deck width: 19.7 ft.
- Also called
- Chickies Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.15833, -76.38778 (decimal degrees)
40°09'30" N, 76°23'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/381811/4446254 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 0772 0300 0475 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 45984 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 47257 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 04/2009)
- Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 12.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2008)
- May 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- December 7, 2010: Added by Nathan Holth
- Nathan Holth
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com