1 vote

Conestoga River Bridge


Wingwall and bridge

Photo taken by Jodi Christman in August 14, 2013


BH Photo #263050


Street View 


FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The skewed, 1 span, 68'-long reinforced concrete thru girder bridge built in 1910 is composed of two girders with transverse floorbeams and a concrete slab deck. The paneled girders also serve as the railings. The bridge is supported on concrete abutments with flared wingwalls. The paneled parapets atop the wingwalls have been cut down to half their original height at an uknown date. The bridge is an example of one of the least successful standardized reinforce concrete bridges types developed during the first decade of the 20th century. At least 65 thru girder bridges from 1906 to 1930 have been identified with more than one-third of the examples in Lancaster County where their use was forwarded by county engineer F. H. Shaw beginning before 1910. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.


Concrete thru girder bridge over Conestoga River on SR1025 (North Farmersville Rd)
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Open to traffic
Built 1910
- F. H. Shaw (county Engineer)
- Nelson-Merydith Co. of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reinforced concrete thru girder bridge
Length of largest span: 62.0 ft.
Total length: 67.9 ft.
Deck width: 16.4 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.13472, -76.17389   (decimal degrees)
40°08'05" N, 76°10'26" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/399993/4443370 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
Inventory numbers
PANBI 21417 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 52526 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of July 2016)
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 43.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • June 15, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • August 15, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
  • May 25, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description