Cocalico Creek Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2 span, 74'-long, reinforced concrete thru girder bridge is supported on concrete cutwater pier and abutments. The paneled girders also serve as railings. The flooring system consists of a single longitudinal beam at the centerline, transverse floorbeams, and a slab deck. Although the reinforced concrete thru girder bridge type was one of the least successful reinforced concrete bridge types developed during the first decade of the 20th century, it was used by a select number of Pennsylvania county engineers for the improvement of local roads and bridges. At least 24 of the 65 surviving examples from 1906 to 1930 in Pennsylvania are located in Lancaster County where its use was forwarded by County Engineer F. H. Shaw. This bridge is an early prototypical example by Shaw and contractors Nelson & Merydith of Chambersburg. The 1909 reinforced concrete thru girder bridge is historically and technologically distinguished as one of the two earliest extant examples of its type in the county and among the 5 oldest pre-1910 examples in the state.
- Reinforced concrete thru girder bridge over Cocalico Creek on Sr 1053 (Peartown Road)
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1909
- - F.H. Shaw, (County Engineer)
- Nelson-Merydith Co. of Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Length of largest span: 33.1 ft.
Total length: 74.2 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.27250, -76.15556 (decimal degrees)
40°16'21" N, 76°09'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/401754/4458643 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- PANBI 21483 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 52537 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 02/2011)
- Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 44.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- May 26, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com