Colebrook Road Overpass
Coleman over Amtrak Landisville PA
BH Photo #232561
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The closed bridge carries a rural road over 2 electrified tracks of Amtrak in a sparsely developed, forested setting. The rail line is the former Pennsylvania RR Main Line, which has been identified as a historic line by PHMC.
The 5 span, 95'-long bridge built in 1901 is composed of a single steel thru girder span over the tracks and four timber stringer approach spans. The steel span is supported on steel bents with stone pedestals. The abutments are stone and the remaining bents are timber. The timber deck is enclosed by corrugated panels above the girders and timber railings on the timber spans. The bridge is not eligible by SHPO Finding, 2/27/95.
As per article at http://www.law360.com/articles/527843/pa-court-backs-puc-s-b..., bridge was ordered removed in 2003; court action over assignation of removal costs to Norfolk Southern continued after bridge's demolition in 2008.
- Girder bridge over Amtrak Railroad on Colebrook Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Built 1901, closed and ordered removed 2003, demolished 2008
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Length of largest span: 45.9 ft.
Total length: 95.1 ft.
Deck width: 17.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.08333, -76.37000 (decimal degrees)
40°04'60" N, 76°22'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/383197/4437905 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7214 0374 5051 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 52550 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2008)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Imminent Failure (1 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 32 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 15, 2015: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Demolition confirmed
- January 13, 2015: Updated by Luke: Updated status per forum comment
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "Amtrak"
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- May 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- May 26, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman