South Jacob St Amtrak Mt Joy PA
FROM PA HISTORIC BRIDGE DATA (2008):
The 3 span, 86'-long, bridge built in 1913 is composed of a steel thru girder main span over the tracks and timber stringer approach spans. The abutments are stone, and the piers are riveted steel columns with cross bracing and stone pedestals. Corrugated metal barriers are over the thru girder span and pipe railings are over the approach spans and wingwalls. The timber deck is supported by timber stringers and built-up floorbeams. The bridge is in the PHMC-determined eligible Mt. Joy Historic District. It is from the district's period of significance. It is evaluated as contributing.
The bridge is closed to traffic. It carries a 2 lane street with sidewalks over a pair of electrified railroad tracks operated by Amtrak. The rail line is the former Pennsylvania RR Main Line, a historically significant rail line established in the 1850s and electrified in the late 1930s. It has been identified as an eligible historic rail line by PHMC. Additionally, the bridge is in the Mt. Joy Historic District that has been determined eligible by PHMC (4/30/96 & 9/25/96) for areas of significance in commerce and architecture from the 19th to early 20th century. It is located in a mixed use setting of late 19th to early 20th century residential and industrial development bordering the railroad tracks. The bridge is in the district, as are the properties at all but its southeast quadrant, according to the district boundary map in PHMC's survey files.
- Girder bridge over Amtrak on South Jacob Street
- Mount Joy, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Closed to all traffic
- Built 1913
Length of largest span: 51.8 ft.
Total length: 86.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.10827, -76.49578 (decimal degrees)
40°06'30" N, 76°29'45" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/372519/4440845 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Columbia East
- Inventory numbers
- PANBI 22168 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 52546 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 01/2010)
- Deck condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 27.0 (out of 100)
- March 1, 2013: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Removed category "Railroad" - did not carry trolley cars, it was a road for cars
- November 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- May 26, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com