Rating:
1 vote

Conestoga River Bridge

Photos 

East side of bridge

Photo taken by Jodi Christman in August 14, 2013

Enlarge

BH Photo #263877

Map 

Street View 

Description 

FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The 2 span, 109'-long reinforced concrete thru girder bridge built in 1922 is composed of two girders with an integral concrete slab deck. The paneled girders also serve as the railings. The bridge is supported on concrete pier and abutments with U-shaped wingwalls surmounted by concrete parapets. The girders and slab are spalled with exposed reinforcing bars. The bridge is an example of one of the least successful standardized reinforce concrete bridges types developed during the first decade of the 20th century. At least 65 thru girder bridges from 1906 to 1930 have been identified with more than one-third of the examples in Lancaster County where their use was forwarded by county engineer F. H. Shaw beginning before 1910. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.

Facts 

Overview
Reinforced concrete thru girder bridge over Conestoga River on Linden Road
Location
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1922
Builder
- F. H. Shaw (county Engineer)
Design
Reinforced concrete thru girder bridge
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 54.1 ft.
Total length: 108.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Also called
Big Conestoga Bridge 4A
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.14000, -76.04833   (decimal degrees)
40°08'24" N, 76°02'54" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/410696/4443822 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Terre Hill
Inventory numbers
PANBI 21913 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 52529 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection (as of 05/2014)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 20.4 (out of 100)
Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
110

Update Log 

  • June 15, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • August 19, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
  • May 25, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description

Sources