Rock Hill Road
bridge at rockhill
Photo taken by Sean McDonnell in December 0000
BH Photo #204101
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The 2-span, 256'-long, rivet-connected Pratt thru truss bridge built in 1923 has all built-up members of standard steel sections. It has lattice railings, rolled floorbeams and stringers, open steel grid deck, and fieldstone abutments and pier with concrete caps. The rivet-connected Pratt thru truss type/design came into increasing use in the 1890s as a result of improvements in field pneumatic riveting equipment, and it was common by the first decade of the 20th century for highway applications. The Pratt truss type/design is the most common in the state with over 375 examples. This later example is complete, but it has no unusual or noteworthy features. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context. It is not located in a potential historic district.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Conestoga river on Rock Hill Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- - H. W. Crawford
- Two-span riveted Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 128.0 ft.
Total length: 255.9 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
- Also called
- South Creek
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.96156, -76.36554 (decimal degrees)
39°57'42" N, 76°21'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/383370/4424383 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PANBI 21878 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 47616 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 66.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- January 19, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- January 19, 2014: Updated by Tony Dillon: Fixed overview
- October 27, 2013: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "H. W. Crawford"
- October 27, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
- May 4, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Merged NBI data & listed popular name
- July 13, 2011: Updated by Sean McDonnell: added number of spans
- January 11, 2011: Added by Daniel Hopkins
- Daniel Hopkins - chimera [at] clovermail [dot] net
- Sean McDonnell
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com