Rating:
No votes cast

Amtrak - Conestoga Creek Viaduct

Photos 

Upstream Elevation, Looking South

Photo taken by Jet Lowe for the Historic American Engineering Record

View photos at Library of Congress

BH Photo #294117

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

FROM WIKIPEDIA: "The Conestoga Creek Viaduct spans the Conestoga River east of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The present structure, built in 1887-88, is a five-span, two-track stone arch railroad bridge. The first crossing at this location was a 1,412 feet (430 m)-long series of eleven wooden Town lattice trusses constructed in 1829 for the Columbia and Philadelphia Railroad, which was purchased by the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) and incorporated into its main line in 1857. PRR shortened the viaduct and replaced the remaining wooden trusses with iron Whipple trusses in 1863. The 1887-88 stone arch replacement was originally intended to be four tracks wide, but only half of the superstructure width (two tracks) was constructed, leaving an unfinished spandrel wall on the southern face. Tie rods were added in 1930 to brace the spandrel walls."

Facts 

Overview
Stone arch bridge over Walnut Street and Conestoga Creek on Amtrak
Location
Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built 1887 and completed in 1888
Builders
- George F. Goll
- John Keller
Railroads
- Amtrak (AMTK)
- Conrail (CR)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
Design
Five-span, two-track stone arch railroad bridge
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 55.0 ft.
Total length: 330.0 ft.
Also called
Grofftown Road-Conestoga Creek Bridge
Walnut Street-Conestoga Creek Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.05004, -76.27816   (decimal degrees)
40°03'00" N, 76°16'41" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/390974/4434093 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lancaster
Inventory numbers
PA 36 7301 3000 7073 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 41629 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • November 20, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • September 10, 2014: Updated by Luke: Merged info from HAER
  • August 18, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added details from Wiki
  • December 10, 2011: Updated by Frank Hicks: Corrected name, GPS, name of road crossed

Sources