Eckman Road Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in October 9, 2013
BH Photo #268541
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 104'-long, rivet-connected Warren with verticals pony truss bridge built in 1935 is supported on concrete abutments with fieldstone wingwalls. The truss members are built-up of standard steel sections. Channel railings are set to the inside faces of the trusses. Rolled floorbeams and stringers carry an open steel grid deck. The bridge has been altered by steel plate welded to the lower chords, upper chords, inclined end posts, diagonals, and gusset plates (ca. 1970). The Warren truss design emerged as one of the most commonly used truss designs after 1895 because of advances in metallurgy and the mid-1890s improvements to field pneumatic riveting. The result was a rapid shift from pinned to riveted connections and the Warren design was particularly well suited for rigid connections. Over 125 examples of the type/design have been identified in the state from the late 1890s to 1956. This late example has no noteworthy features or details. It has been altered by welded repairs. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Lost Warren pony truss bridge over Mill Creek on Eckman Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1935; rehabilitated ca. 1970; replaced 2014
- - H. W. Crawford
- Rivet-connected Warren with verticals pony truss
Length of largest span: 102.0 ft.
Total length: 104.0 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
- Also called
- Mill Bridge No. 3
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.00439, -76.30054 (decimal degrees)
40°00'16" N, 76°18'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/388991/4429054 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2012)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7240 0508 1303 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 22128 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31089 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2012)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 20.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 19, 2015: Updated by Matt Lohry: Updated status: this bridge no longer exists.
- October 18, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Closed
- October 17, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
- January 24, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- May 27, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- April 25, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee