Eshelman Mill Road Bridge
Photo taken by Brian McKee in May 2009
BH Photo #140077
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The single span, 112'-long, pin-connected, Pratt thru truss is supported on concrete abutments. It is traditionally composed of built-up members of standard steel sections for the upper chords and verticals, and eyebars for the lower chords and diagonals. It has rolled floorbeams with U-shaped hangers carrying steel stringers and an open steel grid deck placed in 1970. Welded channel railings are set to the inside of the trusses. According to county records and the bridge plaque, the truss bridge was moved and reassembled at this location in 1933. Its original location and date of construction are unknown, but it dates by style to ca. 1900. It has no unusual or distinctive details that would identify its fabricator. The pin-connected Pratt truss type/design was popular for use with local roads in Pennsylvania from the 1880s to about 1910. It had reached a high degree of standardization by the late 1890s. This example has no features that are not represented by earlier, more complete, and better documented examples in the region. It is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Through truss bridge over Mill Creek on Eshelman Mill Road in Lancaster
- Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished and replaced.
- Built ca. 1900; rehabilitated 1933 and 1970
- - H. W. Crawford (1933)
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 109.9 ft.
Total length: 111.9 ft.
Deck width: 18.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.7 ft.
- Also called
- Mill Creek #2
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.01004, -76.27762 (decimal degrees)
40°00'36" N, 76°16'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/390957/4429653 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7240 0476 1302 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31091 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 24, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- July 10, 2012: Updated by Tony Dillon: Updated status per forum post
- May 26, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- May 10, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
- April 25, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee