Loop Road Bridge
South portal - looking NE
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in October 9, 2013
BH Photo #268567
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2-span bridge built in 1940 consists of a 100'-long, rivet-connected Pratt pony truss span and a 54'-long steel thru girder span. The bridge is supported on stone abutments and pier. The truss has built-up chords and end posts, and rolled section diagonals and verticals. Channel railings are set to the inside faces of the trusses and atop the thru girders. Both the rivet-connected Pratt truss and the thru girder are bridge types/designs developed in the 19th century. Numerous examples from the 1890s to 1956 are found throughout the state. This late example has no unusual or noteworthy details. It is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Pony truss bridge over Pequea Creek on Loop Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- From Goggel aerials appears to have been removed but not replaced
- Future prospects
- On Lancaster County Remove List. This is a long-term list of bridges to demolish and not replace.
- Built 1940; rehabilitated 1970
- - H. W. Crawford
- Rivet-connected Pratt pony truss span and a steel thru girder span
Length of largest span: 100.1 ft.
Total length: 153.9 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.92247, -76.32224 (decimal degrees)
39°55'21" N, 76°19'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/387004/4419989 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7224 0413 1511 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31105 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 24, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- October 17, 2013: New photos from Jodi Christman
- May 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description and bridge design
- March 22, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- September 5, 2010: Updated by D. Thomsen: Pequea Creek
- April 25, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- D. Thomsen - dcthomsen [at] comcast [dot] net
- Nathan Holth
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com