School House Road Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2 span, 148'-long, rivet-connected Warren with verticals pony truss bridge built in 1932 is supported on concrete pier and abutments with flared wingwalls. The truss members are built-up of standard steel sections. Channel railings are set to the inside faces of the trusses. Rolled floorbeams and stringers carry an open steel grid deck. The bridge has been altered by steel plate welded to the lower chords (ca. 1970). The Warren truss design emerged as one of the most commonly used truss designs after 1895 because of advances in metallurgy and the mid-1890s improvements to field pneumatic riveting. The result was a rapid shift from pinned to riveted connections and the Warren design was particularly well suited for rigid connections. Over 125 examples of the type/design have been identified in the state from the late 1890s to 1956. This late example has no noteworthy features or details. It has been altered by welded repairs. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Lost Pony truss bridge over Little Conestoga Creek on School House Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Gone, replaced with concrete bridge.
- Built 1932; rehabilitated ca. 1970
- - H. W. Crawford
- Warren pony truss
Span length: 148.0 ft.
Total length: 148.0 ft.
Deck width: 23.0 ft.
- Also called
- Little Conestoga Creek Bridge 2
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.03150, -76.34242 (decimal degrees)
40°01'53" N, 76°20'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/385462/4432116 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7223 0595 1202 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31122 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 08/2006)
- Deck condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Excellent (9 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 97.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2006)
- May 26, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and description
- April 30, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee: Bridge has been replaced
- April 26, 2009: Updated by Brian McKee
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com