Iron Bridge Road Bridge
Photo taken by Brian McKee in May 2009
BH Photo #140014
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1-span, 80'-long, pin-connected Pratt pony truss bridge built in 1898 is supported on fieldstone abutments with wingwalls surmounted by parapets. The truss is composed of built-up members of standard steel sections for the verticals and upper chords, eye bars for the lower chords, and rods for the diagonals. The rolled floorbeams with U-shaped hangers carry steel stringers and a steel grid deck placed in 1975. Pipe railings have been replaced by welded steel channel railings, but otherwise the truss bridge is complete. The pin-connected Pratt truss type/design was popular for use with local roads in Pennsylvania from the 1880s to about 1910. It had reached a high degree of standardization by the late 1890s. This bridge, appropriately located on Iron Bridge Road, is the oldest of 3 remaining pin-connected truss highway bridges in Lancaster County. It is historically and technologically distinguished as a good, complete, traditionally composed example of the pin-connected Pratt truss type/design in the county and region.
- Pony truss bridge over Conestoga River on Iron Bridge Road
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1898; rehabilitated 1975
- Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 79.1 ft.
Total length: 80.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Big Conestoga Bridge 3
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.14486, -76.01008 (decimal degrees)
40°08'41" N, 76°00'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/413961/4444324 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Terre Hill
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 7213 0807 0303 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
BH 31097 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 12, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Tweaked GPS
- May 25, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- May 9, 2009: New photos from Brian McKee
- Brian McKee - bjmckee51 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com