Pequea Creek Bridge
Lime Valley Pequea Creek Bridge Plaque
Photo taken by Alexander D. Mitchell IV in June 2010
BH Photo #200951
Unusual cantilever/arch design
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 3-span, 132'-long reinforced concrete cantilevered variable-depth slab bridge built in 1927 has a 62'-long main span flanked by two, 31'-long, cantilevered arm approach spans supported on concrete piers. The cantilever design is illustrated in period textbooks and was believed to have the advantage of giving the appearance of an arch where a real arch would be exceedingly costly on account of foundation conditions. Typically, there is an expansion joint at the crown of the center span. The pier and cantilever arms on each side compose a unit. Built in 1927, the bridge is 1 of 2 examples of this design in the Lancaster County (the other is BMS# 36 1010 0050 1342, built in 1917, NR-listed), but no other examples of the rare type/design have been identified in the state. The bridge is historically and technologically significant.
- Concrete through girder bridge over Pequea Creek on PA 2030
- Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1927
- - M. Rohrbaugh (Contractor)
- S. Z. Studenroth (County Engineer)
- Concrete cantilever through girder
Length of largest span: 62.0 ft.
Total length: 131.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Lime Valley Road Pequea Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.96342, -76.22939 (decimal degrees)
39°57'48" N, 76°13'46" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/395001/4424420 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- PA 36 2030 0040 0099 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 21574 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 31117 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 05/2008)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 66.7 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- June 15, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- May 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and engineer
- June 11, 2011: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: fine-tuned map location, added photos & additional data
- November 29, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type.
- September 5, 2010: Updated by D. Thomsen: Pequea Creek