Rating:
1 vote

Lehman's Covered Bridge 38-34-B

Photos 

LEHMAN'S, PORT ROYAL COVERED BRIDGE

Photo posted to Wikipedia by user JERRYE & ROY KLOTZ MD

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

View this photo at Wikimedia Commons

BH Photo #277513

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Brief history: Built in 1888. Farm with bridge was owned by the Lehman family when in 1972 Hurricane Agnes ruined the bridge. The Lehman family had the bridge rebuilt using the original timber, but made it a 2-span, steel supported stringer structure. The Burr arch was then added to make the bridge appear more authentic.

Facts 

Overview
Bridge over East Licking Creek on Mayer Road
Location
Juniata County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to traffic
History
Built in 1888 and rebuilt after Hurricane Agnes in 1972 using original timbers, but not original truss design
Design
Covered steel stringer
Dimensions
Total length: 120.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
Recognition
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 10, 1979
Also called
Port Royal Bridge
Moyer's Bridge
McCulloch's Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.52930, -77.39541   (decimal degrees)
40°31'45" N, 77°23'43" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/297106/4489264 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Mifflintown
Inventory numbers
NRHP 79002248 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
WGCB 38-34-B (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 53010 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Categories 

19th Century (6,448)
Beam (13,154)
Built 1888 (198)
Built during 1880s (1,710)
Covered (1,396)
Have street view (24,052)
Juniata County, Pennsylvania (23)
NR-listed (2,838)
Open (37,449)
Owned privately (1,411)
Pennsylvania (4,590)
Steel stringer (5,166)
Total length 100-125 feet (4,798)

Update Log 

  • July 10, 2018: New photos from Janis Ford
  • March 4, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
  • July 28, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman

Sources