Academia Covered Bridge 38-34-01
Photo taken June 2006 by Jack Schmidt
BH Photo #108599
Interesting to note there are multiple documented dates for the bridge's build date:
-1870 "Statewide Covered Bridge Assessment"
-1901 "World Guide to Covered Bridges"
-1902 "The Covered Bridges of Pennsylvania" by Zacher
Currently bridge is owned by the Juniata County of Historical Society
- Covered bridge over Tuscarora Creek southeast of Academia
- Juniata County, Pennsylvania
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built 1902 by James M. Groniger
- Covered Burr arch-truss
Length of largest span: 135.0 ft.
Total length: 279.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.5 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.6 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 10, 1979
- Also called
- Pomeroy Covered Bridge (original name)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.49350, -77.47267 (decimal degrees)
40°29'37" N, 77°28'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/290450/4485470 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Spruce Hill
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 38-34-01 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79002249 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 31046 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 4, 2014: Photos imported by Dave King
- August 21, 2012: New photos from Jodi Christman
- July 28, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description on dates and owner
- December 18, 2006: Posted photos from Jack Schmidt