NS - Standing Stone Creek
Downstream from bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 6/09/2012
BH Photo #233410
Bridge damaged and partially collapsed April 3, 2018 after track renovation: http://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/04/cleanup_for_huntingdon_...
FROM HAER... This bridge was constructed when the tracks through Huntingdon were moved from Allegheny Street to the bed of the defunct Pennsylvania Canal, replacing an older stone bridge upstream.
DESCRIPTION: With a total length of 132', this stone arch bridge has three spans of rough-faced stone. A 12' extension of reinforced concrete covers the stone work on the north side. A builder's plaque on the south face of the bridge is no longer legible.
HISTORY: This PRR bridge over Standing Stone Creek, at the eastern end of Huntingdon borough, was constructed in 1891 and 1892 when the tracks through Huntingdon were moved from Allegheny Street to the bed of the defunct Pennsylvania Canal. It replaced a stone-arch bridge constructed in 1849, just slightly upstream from the present bridge. The contract for building this bridge was awarded in March 1891 to Brown Bros, and Sims, who used a large force of Hungarian laborers to complete the work. The first trains ran over the new track in February 1892. Railroad records show that the width of the bridge was expanded in 1948 by the addition of a concrete section to the north side.
- Stone arch bridge over Standing Stone Creek on Norfolk Southern Railway (former PRR)
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1891-92, rebuilt 1948; damaged during derailment April 3, 2018
- - Conrail (CR)
- Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Stone arch
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 20, 1990
- Also called
- PRR - Standing Stone Creek
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.48077, -78.00432 (decimal degrees)
40°28'51" N, 78°00'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/753926/4485432 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 90000410 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 52681 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 6, 2018: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge damaged during derailment April 3, 2018
- June 4, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- April 6, 2017: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Corrected descriptions
- March 4, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP info and imported photo
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- June 16, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman