Stone Creek Bridge II
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 06/09/2012
This bridge was constructed when the tracks through Huntingdon were moved from Allegheny Street to the bed of the defunct Pennsylvania Canal, replacing an older stone bridge upstream.
DESCRIPTION: With a total length of 132', this stone arch bridge has three spans of rough-faced stone. A 12' extension of reinforced concrete covers the stone work on the north side. A builder's plaque on the south face of the bridge is no longer legible.
HISTORY: This PRR bridge over Stone Creek, at the eastern end of Huntingdon borough, was constructed in 1891 and 1892 when the tracks through Huntingdon were moved from Allegheny Street to the bed of the defunct Pennsylvania Canal. It replaced a stone-arch bridge onstructed in 1849, just slightly upstream from the present bridge. The contract for building this bridge was awarded in March 1891 to Brown Bros, and Sims, who used a large force of Hungarian laborers to complete the work. The first trains ran over the new track in February 1892.
Railroad records show that the width of the bridge was expanded in 1948 by the addition of a concrete section to the north side.
- Stone arch bridge over Standing Stone Creek on Former Pensylvania Railroad (PRR)
- Huntingdon, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built in 1891; rehab 1948
- - Brown Brothers & Sims (Contractors)
- Stone arch
Total length: 132.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990
- Also called
- Conrail Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek
Standing Stone Creek Bridge II
Pennsylvania Railroad Old Bridge over Standing Stone Creek
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.48120, -78.00435 (decimal degrees)
40°28'52" N, 78°00'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/753922/4485479 (zone/easting/northing)
- USGS topographic map
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 90000410 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 52643 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 27, 2012: Photo imported by Daniel Hopkins
- August 9, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Railroad"
- June 9, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com