New Fording Bridge
Looking north by NW
Photo taken by Jodi Christman in November 16, 2013
BH Photo #270484
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1889, single span, 63'-long, Pratt pony truss bridge with the floor beams above the lower chords is supported on ashlar abutments with concrete wingwalls. The light trusses have laced webs rather than built up box sections at the inclined end posts and end panels of the upper chords. The bridge is one of three pin connected trusses in the county dating to 1889. The other two, which are more complete, have been listed in the National Register (31 7220 0373 3009) or determined eligible by PHMC (31 4005 0120 0000). This example is altered (original diagonal and two counters have been removed and replaced with steel cable in 1978). The altered bridge is not historically or technologically significant.
- Pony truss bridge over Great Trough Creek on TR 368 (New Fording Road)
- Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1889; rehabilitated 1978
- Pratt pony truss
Span length: 63.0 ft.
Total length: 63.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
- Also called
- Huntingdon County Bridge #12
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.26621, -78.08611 (decimal degrees)
40°15'58" N, 78°05'10" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/322455/4460557 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 31 7225 0368 3012 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 18945 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30997 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 22.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 29, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- November 17, 2013: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added bridge name & details
- April 14, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description