Red Run Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 1 lane road over a stream in a rural setting of active farming. The road dead ends at a farm lane on the south side of the stream. The area is a mix of 19th- to late-20th-century residences and farm outbuildings, including a new residence at the bridge's northeast quadrant and a farm complex of 19th-century buildings on the south side of Red Run. According to Beer's map (1868), the farm complex was the farmstead of H. Baer. It may have individual historic significance based on integrity.
The 1-span, 36'-long, steel stringer bridge was constructed in 1935 by the township and rebuilt in 1984 reusing some of the original steel beams for interior stringers. Weathering steel beams were added at the fasciae, the beam ends set in concrete, the stone abutments repaired and widened with concrete, original stone wingwalls replaced by concrete wingwalls, a concrete deck added, and modern metal railings attached. The steel stringer bridge does not have integrity of original design. It is an undistinguished example of one of over 4,300 identified pre-1957 steel stringer bridges in the state. Based on its date of construction and alterations, the bridge does not have a significant historic association with the Baer Farm on the south side of the stream.
- Steel stringer bridge over Red Run on Baer Road
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1935; rehabilitated 1984
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 34.1 ft.
Total length: 36.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.1 ft.
- Also called
- Cress Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.73583, -77.56417 (decimal degrees)
39°44'09" N, 77°33'51" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/280268/4401582 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7215 0370 4001 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17736 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 48698 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 64.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 5, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- April 24, 2011: Added by Jodi Christman