Paxton Run Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #176356
C.V. Laughlin & J. Howard Poe rebuilt bridge in 1921.
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 2-span, 50'-long bridge was built ca. 1870 as a one-span cast- and wrought-iron Pratt pony truss bridge. According to a plaque, it was rebuilt in 1921, at which time the lower chords and floorbeams were encased in concrete and a pier added at midspan converting it to a two span bridge. The upper chord is composed of cast-iron pieces, each the length of one panel and spliced together by bolts. The cast-iron end posts are an uncommon, bowed, double I-shaped section. The cast-iron verticals are a bowed I-shaped section and are compression fitting with the upper chord. Several of the verticals have been replaced by newer I-beams, which can be identified because they are not bowed. The bridge is among the oldest metal truss bridges in the state, and although altered, it is an exceptional surviving example from the 1850s to 1870s period of innovation and experimentation in metal truss bridge technology. It illustrates the historically important transition period from wood to all iron truss bridges, before the availability of standard sizes of rolled wrought-iron shapes, such as I-beams, angles, and channels, allowed built-up wrought-iron members to replace cast iron. The cast-iron details are unique, and it is very likely that this bridge is a one-of-a-kind surviving example. The builder is undocumented by available records. The bridge has a national level of significance.
- Cast iron truss bridge over Paxton Run on Mowersville Road
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Built 1897; rehabilitated 1921
- - C.V. Laughlin (1921 Rebuilder)
- J. Howard Poe (1921 Rebuilder)
- Cast and Wrought Iron Pratt Pony Truss
Length of largest span: 24.0 ft.
Total length: 49.9 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
- Also called
- Mowersville Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.11528, -77.58444 (decimal degrees)
40°06'55" N, 77°35'04" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/279751/4443753 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7207 0644 3133 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17681 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 46070 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2009)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 18.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2012: Photo imported by Jodi Christman
- September 4, 2012: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished.
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added PA Historic Bridge Data in Description
- December 16, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected orig, build date as suggested by JS
- April 1, 2011: Updated by Anthony Dillon: Took out the lost date.......as the bridge is still extant (even if significantly altered
- March 31, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected build
- November 28, 2010: New photo from Jodi Christman
- September 6, 2010: New photos from Nathan Holth
- September 6, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman