Heisey Road Bridge
Facing south, west side of bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman
BH Photo #176946
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 1 lane road over a stream in a rural setting of active farms and scattered late-20th century residences. At one end of the bridge appears to be an old mill, but it has a newer brick first story, and does not have appear to have integrity.
The 2 span, 130'-long, steel thru girder bridge is supported on stone pier and abutments with wingwalls topped by stone parapets. The riveted thru girders have rolled floorbeams, stringers, and an open steel grid deck. The girders are topped by pipe railings. Built in 1904, the bridge is a representative example of the thru girder technology that was popular from the late-19th through the mid-20th centuries. The bridge has no unusual or noteworthy features. It is not historically distinguished by its setting, technology, or context.
- Girder bridge over West Branch Conococheague Creek on Heisey Road
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1904; rehabilitated 1963
Length of largest span: 63.0 ft.
Total length: 129.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.79583, -77.85917 (decimal degrees)
39°47'45" N, 77°51'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/255198/4409008 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 1985)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 28 7209 0330 3121 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 17695 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 46124 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 38.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 7, 2021: Updated by Jodi Christman: Bridge has been replaced.
- January 5, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- September 11, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman